In Toronto, is IPTV better through a set-top box or through the STB app on a smart TV?

frankdavis40

In Toronto, is IPTV better through a set-top box or through the STB app on a smart TV?

Post by frankdavis40 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:38 pm

:?:

oliviabacker

Re: In Toronto, is IPTV better through a set-top box or through the STB app on a smart TV?

Post by oliviabacker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:03 am

I’d recommend getting a set-top box, particularly a Roku or Android device.
The problem with using your TV’s smart features is that the TV was probably set for Americans and then just shipped to Canada. While you won’t have a problem getting Netflix or Amazon Prime TV, as they both have Canadian services, Hulu will be off limits as will many of the broadcast and cable network apps.
Because Roku and Android in particular are so popular, content creators tend to develop apps for them before they ever consider TV apps. Your TV probably won’t have the Global app, say, or the CBC app, but Roku and Android should. Also, Roku and Android do a better job of tracking and downloading upgrades than TVs do — meaning these devices stay current for much longer than do TVs.

franksmith

Re: In Toronto, is IPTV better through a set-top box or through the STB app on a smart TV?

Post by franksmith » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am

Better?

If you get it, you get it.

If you have a smart TV, find it there. If not, get a box.

If you are thinking of “maybe” getting a smart TV - BUY IT NOW.

freestown7

Post by freestown7 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:39 am

Depends on your preferences. I recommend you choose infomir MAG420 https://www.infomir.us/products/mag420.html It is a powerful and cost-effective solution for quickly launching IPTV/OTT projects. Thanks to the ARM Cortex-A53 processor on the Hi3798MV200 chipset and the built-in HEVC codec, this set-top box easily reproduces 4K content at 60 fps and does not create excessive network loading. I am pretty satisfied both with the price and quality I got. All the best