[SOLVED] Browser not loading WoL

Mnemosyn

[SOLVED] Browser not loading WoL

Post by Mnemosyn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:12 pm

I've been having an issue over the last few weeks where my browsers will not load most of the World of Logs pages. I can get to the home page just fine, but anything further (my guild's calendar with the parses listed, rankings, realm listing, etc.) will not load nine times out of ten. I get to the page with the World of Logs logo at the top and the "Client, Guild, Sign Out . . ." bar on the right, but everything below that is grey and the browser is just infinitely loading. I've used Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer to attempt to view WoL normally with no luck.

The only thing that does work is while using Internet Explorer I use Compatability Mode, which as far as I am aware just makes the current page read like you're using an older browser or something. Any info on the issue will be of great help.

Thanks,
`Syn

Edit: Here's a screenshot of what it looks like; I've actually left it there loading for an hour or two and came back with it still the same.

SS: http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7885/wolload.png

ArcaneMagus

Re: Browser not loading WoL

Post by ArcaneMagus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:28 pm

Sounds like a proxy issue. Are you using any antivirus/antispyware/firewall software? Some of those include a built in proxy server so it can scan all your web traffic. If not what ISP are you using? Does clearing your cache help at all?

Mnemosyn

Post by Mnemosyn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:02 am

No antivirus or antispyware software out of the ordinary, and just the built in firewall. Clearing the cache has no effect. Using Charter internet.

Not sure if this is related, but when I do manage to get through to our logs page once in a blue moon, there are no pictures of the raids listed like normal. Just text listing the raid in black squares. Could it have something to do with those? It gets stuck on "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com . . ."

Mnemosyn

Post by Mnemosyn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:07 am

Update: I did some more research and installed Adblockplus on my computer to see if it would help. The website now loads perfectly and extremely fast. I hate using adblock programs because I realize that's how sites get a lot of their revenue to remain in operation, but in this case I'm going to have to keep it on unless there's another way to fix it.

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:20 am

Looking into ContextWeb's ad server status.

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:29 am

No problems reaching the ContextWeb servers from here. Probably a routing or load balancing issue somewhere between you and ContextWeb. You can either use ABP like you yourself suggested or add tag.contextweb.com to your hostfile pointing to 127.0.0.1. Sorry for the inconvenience :(

Margo2104

Re: [SOLVED] Browser not loading WoL

Post by Margo2104 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 am

I have the same problem, how to remove these annoying ads?

BarkingSpider

Post by BarkingSpider » Wed May 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Margo, have you tried to install some of these popular adblocks? Personally, I am using https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... mffkfcemnc this one for work. It is really hard to work when you see these banners and annoying ads everywhere, so I understand you.

Rove

Post by Rove » Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Margo2104 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 am
I have the same problem, how to remove these annoying ads?
Margo2104, if you are not satisfied with the built-in pop-up blocker that Google Chrome Chrome offers, you can use third-party software. The best way to block ads, in this case, is to use a system-level ad blocker. Not only will it help you get rid of annoying pop-up ads, but it will also remove all other ad formats from your internet session. While I was working on rushessay review I also encountered that problem, and a tool named StopAd showed good results in those circumstances.