[SOLVED] Logs directory not found.

Drone

[SOLVED] Logs directory not found.

Post by Drone » Sat May 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Can anyone help me with this, i keep going onto preferences and my logs directory but when i try to start a live report session it says it cannot read the directory.

I get the message

Cannot read C:/Program Files/World of Warcraft/Logs/WoWCombatLog.txt

Drone

Re: Logs directory not found.

Post by Drone » Sat May 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Managed to fix that problem by typing "/combatlog" ingame rather than pressing "Start a live report session" on the client.
But now i have a problem of not being able to find any of my logs to upload.

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Tue May 31, 2011 1:56 pm

The WoL client works as follows:
  1. You enable the combat log in-game using the /combatlog command (or a suitable add-on like LoggerHead).
  2. WoW writes the combat log to the World of Warcraft\Logs\WoWCombatLog.txt file.
  3. The client reads this file and analyzes/uploads its contents to the WoL website.
Hence, you need to *both* enable the combat log in-game *as well as* start the live report session in the client.

Now you can do this two ways:
  1. You raid with the combat log enabled and upload this log after the raid. This is done using the "Open the WoW log" button, which simply opens WoWCombatLog.txt for parsing/uploading.
  2. You use the Start Live Report Session button. The client starts watching the WoWCombatLog.txt file for changes and uploads new chunks during your raid, updating the report in a "live" fashion.
Now there are a few caveats here:
  1. WoW only writes to one single combat log file, WoWCombatLog.txt. This means that consecutive raids will end up in the same file, causing the client to upload data from two or more raids for a single report if the log is not cleared inbetween. You should use the client's Tools --> Split & Archive function to work around this issue. When using this function, the client splits the combat log in chunks separated by at least 20 minutes of idle time. For each of these chunks a ZIP file is created with its start time and saved in the WoW\Logs\archive folder. If you would like to upload one of these chunks, extract the TXT file inside and upload that using the Open a File button in the client.

The client will ask you whether you want to split&archive the log each time you use the "Open a File" or "Open the WoW log" functions, but not when using Live Report.
  2. For the Live Report function, the WoWCombatLog.txt file must exist when starting the report. If you've just deleted the file through Split & Archive or manually, you'll need to enable combat logging in-game to make WoW create the log file before starting the live session. You may have to cast a few spellsor hit a mob/target dummy a few times before WoW actually creates the file.

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Tue May 31, 2011 2:01 pm

More specific to your case: you have installed WoW in C:\Program Files. Depending on the version of Windows you use, that may cause issues with the WoL client. You should
  • Verify the location of your combat log file using the steps detailed in the first post of this topic.
  • When you've found the combat log file path, it should be either C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Logs\WoWCombatLog.txt or C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Logs\WoWCombatLog.txt.
  • Now make sure that the resulting path (i.e. the part before WoWCombatLog.txt) is set as the WoW logs dir in your Edit --> Preferences menu.
Also, please post back here if you have any questions/issues :)

MacCallister

Post by MacCallister » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:05 am

Maihem, I do exactly as you say in the previous post, yet it says "Could not save setting: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Logs\WoWCombatLog.txt is not a directory." I have typed /combatlog in game, and pressed the "Start Live Report Session" button, and it still says this is not a directory. Any tips?

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 am

Yes, perform step 1: Verify the location of your combat log file using the steps detailed in the first post of this topic.

Enter the path shown in the popup as the logs dir. If that doesn't work, post the path from Process Explorer's Find Handle popup here.

MacCallister

Post by MacCallister » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:46 am

I follow the post exactly, and it says this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Logs\WoWCombatLog.txt
I try putting that in the logs dir, and still says "is not a directory." :(

ArcaneMagus

Post by ArcaneMagus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:51 am

You should only have this part in the configuration:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Logs\
Just like is shown in the tutorial:
(See how it only has the directory, and not the file name as well)

MacCallister

Post by MacCallister » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:13 am

Well that is rather fail on my behalf. It clearly says above the directory is the part before the .txt stuff. I apologize for my stupidity. thanks for the help!

ArcaneMagus

Post by ArcaneMagus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:27 am

Glad we could help you solve the problem ;) MaKing this as solved.