An improved survivability analysis

addohm

An improved survivability analysis

Post by addohm » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:36 pm

I've been looking at our guilds WoL a lot and this week I thought; why not reward the players for great game play? Something like...
  • 'Player X did Y dps at Z ilvl = dps value'
and
  • 'Player W stayed alive for X amount of the raid that player W attended, and took Y amount of damage and took Z amount of healing = True Survivability'
I've come up with several attempts at algorithms that would break down each player into a rating but to no avail, I continuously find something wrong with it. I am trying to not turn this into a weekly chore where I have to do a shit load of math for each player that attends every week. So here's the thing. I don't find any one tool on WoL enough to satisfy my needs, but I do think that it would be a valuable tool for all guilds if there was something that existed that was a more advanced version of the survivability tool. Something that allowed you to look at each player, each raid, and quickly see "Hey, this player stands in shit the most, and this player stands in shit the least" but also discounting the obvious factors that should automatically disqualify a player like "Hey, player W stands in shit the least, but died 2 minutes into the fight so his survivability is shit, player gets X rating. Player Y stood in shit the least whilst never dieing, player gets Z rating" where the Z rating would be higher (or more valueable) than the X rating.

TLDR; a player rating system? :lol:

Now I would imagine that some toying around with the expression editor could be done to make something like this work, but I feel it will be more advanced than that. Is anyone interested in this?

Now, there is going to be people that crap on this idea, but hear me out. We want to reward proper players for proper play, and have a carrot on a stick for sub-par players. The sub-par players will see that every week they have a chance at improving their game play and earning a reward for it. This will also encourage sub-par players to go ahead and learn more about fights during downtime to also improve game play. Finally, this will encourage more social and forum interaction with our guild website as a whole. The idea was tossed around to all the officers of the guild, and the few that disagreed with the idea wanted to have a discretionary vote each week between the officers. That is unfortunately never going to be fair and will always show some form of subjectivity or favoritism. Numbers never lie, which is why I want to try and make this work here.

Sorry for the long post.

addohm

Re: An improved survivability analysis

Post by addohm » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Even something simple like 'Player W was here for boss X who has Y ability that is avoidable, or Z ability that causes friendly fire = Survivability Rating per Fight' would be more helpful.