Weird Client Error that I can't seem to fix via Google. HELP

Messy_isnt_it

Weird Client Error that I can't seem to fix via Google. HELP

Post by Messy_isnt_it » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:51 am

So, I'm getting a really strange error when trying to use the WoL Client. I've tried clearing the cache, reinstalling, checking for updates, changing the Network Settings to Direct Connection, and pretty much every troubleshoot I could find on Google. I'm not sure what's going awry here. It says:

Error: Unexpected exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Lauch File:

Code: Select all

<jnlp spec="6.0+" codebase="http://worldoflogs.com/media/client/v6/">
  <information>
    <title>World of Logs - Uploader</title>
    <vendor>Digibites Technology</vendor>
    <homepage href="http://www.worldoflogs.com/"/>
    <description>Application used to upload WoW combat logs to World of Logs.</description>
    <icon href="logo-wide.jpg" kind="splash"/>
  </information>
  <update check="always"/>
  <security>
    <all-permissions/>
  </security>
  <resources>
    <j2se version="1.7+" initial-heap-size="256M" max-heap-size="800M" java-vm-args="-Xms256M -Xmx800M -XX:MaxPermSize=200M -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"/>
    <jar href="WOL3-bnet.jar" main="true"/>
  </resources>
  <application-desc main-class="com.wol3.client.forms.WorldOfLogsClientForm"/>
</jnlp>
Exception

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.wol3.client.WorldOfLogsClient.hasAssociations(WorldOfLogsClient.java:187)
	at com.wol3.client.forms.WorldOfLogsClientForm.onStart(WorldOfLogsClientForm.java:112)
	at com.wol3.client.forms.WorldOfLogsClientForm.<init>(WorldOfLogsClientForm.java:108)
	at com.wol3.client.forms.WorldOfLogsClientForm.main(WorldOfLogsClientForm.java:333)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Legalad

Re: Weird Client Error that I can't seem to fix via Google.

Post by Legalad » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:57 am

Hi,

Thank you for reporting the bug with the new client. Miles is already working on it, it should be fixed within an hour. :D Sorry for the inconvenience.

Treize

Post by Treize » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:36 am

I've had serious issues with launching the client ever since patch 6.0 (or I should say, after I updated to Java 8). The Java-loading screen stays up for about 20 seconds then vanish and nothing shows up.

Legalad

Post by Legalad » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:43 am

Hi Treize,

Can you check if you launched the WoL client (download the latest version client) directly from our website? Or try to clear the java cache. Here's a forum topic explaining how to do it: viewtopic.php?p=9199#p9199

Treize

Post by Treize » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:01 pm

Yes, this is with the current client version, and when attempting to launch it, nothing shows up in Java's cache afterwards. No errors or anything. Only the "Java is loading" thing (see screenshot below) is up for about 30 seconds, then nothing else opens up once it's done.

Kinda off-topic, I've needed to clear Java's cache for WoL'client after every launch for the past half year (if not more). But that was with an older client version, one which is completely broken now. (though it does spit out an error every time)

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:32 am

@Treize: You should definitely not need to clear the Java Web Start cache each time you launch the client. While we have had issues with the JWS cache, these are usually limited to you not getting an automatic update. Given that you now only get a Java loading screen and then nothing, it sounds like your Java install might be corrupt.

Please try the following:

1) Clear the JWS cache.
2) Uninstall *all* versions of Java from your computer.
3) Reboot your computer.
4) Download and reinstall from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html (pick the JRE download, Windows x86 Offline version).
5) Launch the client from the link on the World of Logs website.

The Java download from the above link will update automatically, just as the one from the http://www.java.com website. This is just the developers/sysadmin download page.

Treize

Post by Treize » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:06 pm

I have now uninstalled Java 7 (update 65, I believe) and 8 (update 25), rebooted and reinstalled 8 update 25 (x86 offline version) again. Still no change.

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:21 pm

So at least it's not an outdated Java install that's causing your issue. Since you are not shown the WOL client splash screen, it sounds to me like there's an issue retrieving the JNLP launcher file. If you could provide a trace of the startup process, that would help greatly in finding the cause of your problem. You can generate one by following these steps:

1) Go to Control Panel > Programs > Java
2) Switch to the "Advanced" tab
3) Under "Debugging", check "Enable tracing"
4) Confirm by clicking OK

following that

a) Launch the WOL client
b) Wait until the Java splash screen disappears
c) Press [Start + R], then enter "%APPDATA%\..\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\log" and click OK.
d) Find the newest file named javaws(lots of numbers).trace (you may not see .trace, but see TRACE File in type column).
e) Send that file to me by e-mail at maihem AT worldoflogs.com
f) (optional, but recommended) Disable tracing using steps 1-4 above.

That might help us figure out exactly what goes wrong.

---

In the mean time, you may be able to launch the client without using Java Web Start. This means you will not get automatic updates, but may mitigate your issue while we determine its cause. Download the JAR file from this link. You should be able to launch it by double-clicking.