What is a smart device? - a conceptualisation within the paradigm of the internet of things

doberso

What is a smart device? - a conceptualisation within the paradigm of the internet of things

Post by doberso » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:20 am

The Internet of Things (IoT) is an interconnected network of objects which range from simple sensors to smartphones and tablets; it is a relatively novel paradigm that has been rapidly gaining ground in the scenario of modern wireless telecommunications with an expected growth of 25 to 50 billion of connected devices for 2020 Due to the recent rise of this paradigm, authors across the literature use inconsistent terms to address the devices present in the IoT, such as mobile device, smart device, mobile technologies or mobile smart device. Based on the existing literature, this paper chooses the term smart device as a starting point towards the development of an appropriate definition for the devices present in the IoT. This investigation aims at exploring the concept and main features of smart devices as well as their role in the IoT. This paper follows a systematic approach for reviewing compendium of literature to explore the current research in this field. It has been identified smart devices as the primary objects interconnected in the network of IoT, having an essential role in this paradigm. The developed concept for defining smart device is based on three main features, namely context-awareness, autonomy and device connectivity. Other features such as mobility and user-interaction were highly mentioned in the literature, but were not considered because of the nature of the IoT as a network mainly oriented to device-to-device connectivity whether they are mobile or not and whether they interact with people or not. What emerges from this paper is a concept which can be used to homogenise the terminology used on further research in the Field of digitalisation and smart technologies.

hojoos

Re: What is a smart device? - a conceptualisation within the paradigm of the internet of things

Post by hojoos » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:07 pm

Nowadays, we live in the very fast rhythm of technological progress. It looks like new smart devices appear every day, just read the latest tech news on 4ProMedia. They sometimes may seem strange and difficult to use. But once you accustom them to your needs, they significantly simplify everyday life by automating it. They save you time and provide a lot of information.

Nebertkil

Re: What is a smart device? - a conceptualisation within the paradigm of the internet of things

Post by Nebertkil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:11 pm

I tried using the WoL client today for the first time but it wouldn't open each time i clicked the link on the website. Whenever I try and open the World of logs client I see the java icon appear on the mac applications bar but after a few seconds it just disappears and quits. I downloaded the most recent Java to make sure it was installed and up to date and I saw some old posts about enabling applets in the java preferences but after updating java I can't seem to find the java preferences in the utility folder and I didn't see anything about enabling applets in the java section in system preferences. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Cefukil

Post by Cefukil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:14 pm

macOS 10 will be history in just a few days guys. Get ready for macOS Big Sur also labeled as macOS 11.0, the frist time in more than a decade when Apple changes the macOS 10.x label! It adds Control Center for Mac, a redesigned Dock, improved Messages and many other new features .