[CLOSED] File merging

casey37

[CLOSED] File merging

Post by casey37 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Many encounters simply don't capture everyone due to range issues. Is there a work around or would it be possible to have multiple people log a fight and get those merged? I recall this merging feature on an outdated site.

Maihem
Site Admin

Re: File merging

Post by Maihem » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Range issues were fixed a long time ago with a massive log range increase by Blizzard.

Phasing is still a major issue with combat logs, but correctly merging logs is a very complex process. Existing log mergers usually duplicate many lines, skewing numbers and statistics by significant amounts. We've spent quite some time trying to design an algorithm to accurately sync and merge logs, but due to many issues like time synchronization, phasing, events appearing only for the logger and actor flag inconsistencies (e.g. mind control, which changes affiliation) we've decided not to implement a log merger ourselves.

In short: we do not offer any log merging functionality.

casey37

Re: File merging

Post by casey37 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Fair enough, thanks for the reply.

Rapal

Re: [CLOSED] File merging

Post by Rapal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:41 am

Hi.

I'd like to volounteer to make a log-merger.
I'm planning to write it anyway, and really like the way World of Logs works, and what it has contributed with so far, so I'd like to give something back.
What does it take to become "part of the dev-crew"?

I've been looking into what should be required to make a somewhat good merger, and I definitely think it's possible. Have some ideas at least to solve most of the challenges I see so far.

cremor

Post by cremor » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 am

The devs haven't been active in the forum for a while. Might be better to send them an e-mail.

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Vacations and deadlines on other projects have kept us crazy busy over the last few months. Things are easing up again though, so you'll be seeing more of us (mostly me) on the forums again. There will also be more activity on updates for WOL. We've just implemented region rankings, separating US & EU vs Asia. Some of the other things we'll be looking at are Holy Priest DPS rankings and the upcoming 5.2 combat log changes.

@Rapal:

A combat log merger doesn't necessarily need to be integrated with WOL. The easiest way to implement it would be to simply accept multiple textual logs and output a single merged log, then upload that with the WOL client's Open a File function. That would prevent it from working with live logs, but then that's a whole different challenge again. Working with textual logs also keeps you far from the custom packed combat log format that WOL uses internally, which would otherwise complicate such a merger further. If succesful, we might at some point consider integrating your work into the WOL client.

As for what makes a good log merger, that would be mostly up to you to find out. We've thought on this before and I can name some issues or join in brainstorming about it, but we have never done any concrete work on merging logs. Some of the issues: we know that 1) timestamps in the combat log are not synchronized across clients; 2) not all clients receive the same events (e.g. due to phasing); 3) clients can randomly "lose" events from the combat log; 4) clients sometimes output invalid event records (e.g. a 80 MB line of whitespace or malformed event type); 5) time is not guaranteed to increase monotonically for all clients (the combat log may go back in time when the system clock changes, especially an issue for OS X); 6) GUIDs are not the same across clients (they contain affiliation and reaction flags which may differ for individual players and may change, e.g. through mind control); 7) names are not necessarily the same across clients (actors may show up named "Unknown"). Note that "client" here refers to the WoW game client.

Those are some issues that you'd need to account for off the top of my head. Some of them, like the invalid event records, you could simply detect and refuse to process, others require more subtle handling. Earlier combat log merger implementations, like WWS's, would often duplicate many lines in the combat log, inflating totals by up to 100% of the original amounts. When you're working on merging logs, I would advise you to check original & merged totals often and try to find when and why they differ. One other metric could be the number of events in the merged combat log vs each of the originals: if it increases too much you either have a phase difference in the combat logs (each client gets events from their phase only) or merged something wrong, duplicating a lot of events.

If you have any remarks, questions or just want to brainstorm, either just post on the forums (this topic or a new one if you want to start clean) or send me an e-mail at maihem@worldoflogs.com with your thoughts.

seler

Post by seler » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:40 pm

File merging tools are very important for users with their works are become very easy and quick in achievements. Now you can get help from ukbestessays custom writing services also for modification of written works.