Exporting raw log files from WoL

iflassman

Exporting raw log files from WoL

Post by iflassman » Thu May 12, 2011 2:11 am

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked, but my searches didn't turn up anything similar.

Is it possible to download the raw logs for a given kill or wipe? Sometimes I would like to download the logs from the site to do some special parsing myself, but I don't have access to the original log file that was uploaded.

Even more useful would be such an export after the logs are filtered by the expression editor.

nipil

Re: Exporting raw log files from WoL

Post by nipil » Thu May 12, 2011 7:56 am

Nope, not as far as i know. And i guess that's why there's a "zip and archive" feature in the client program.

ArcaneMagus

Post by ArcaneMagus » Thu May 12, 2011 10:31 am

Correct, there is no way to download (or generate) a raw log from a WoL report. When parsing and uploading the log the client majorly compresses the data and de-duplicates, sending things like Names only once so by the time it is done it really isn't anything like the original log.

iflassman

Post by iflassman » Thu May 12, 2011 11:11 am

I don't need it to be exactly like the original file. There's no reason an export option to output in the original format, or at least the format the expression editor outputs couldn't be implemented.

ArcaneMagus

Post by ArcaneMagus » Thu May 12, 2011 8:27 pm

So if you don't expect the raw format (as you said in your original post), what type of export are you talking about then? How is just copying the output from the XE not good enough if you are not wanting the original raw format?

iflassman

Post by iflassman » Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Having it in a more structured format would be preferable, but if that's not possible, I would at least like to export all of the logs without copy and pasting, because you can't get them all in one page. Copy & paste for each page would be very painful.

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Fri May 13, 2011 12:27 am

We haven't implemented this functionality in WoL for a number of reasons:
  1. Development time: lots of other features to work on.
  2. Performance: exporting hundreds of thousands -- if not over a million -- lines is costly.
    Encoding/decoding the JSON sent between backend/frontend is responsible for a significant portion of the request processing time, which emphasizes this concern.
    Yes, we do use simplejson's native speedups. And yes, we perform custom JSON writing on the backend by StringBuffer concatenation -- actually, the frontend decoding takes the most time of the two.
  3. Expectations: users would expect the output to be compatible with the raw log files so it can be used with other tools.
    The client & server were explicitly written and hand-optimized for compression and speed. The packed log format does not contain all information present in the raw log, nor is it easy to translate to the raw format. Even the format sent to your browser for the XE results is a data subset tailored to render the page and is explicitly deduplicated using lookup tables.
We may provide a format usable by developers/geeks based on XE output, but have no immediate plans to do so.

iflassman

Post by iflassman » Fri May 13, 2011 1:44 am

The reasons you give make sense, but I have to add that a feature like this would make your tool much more useful and powerful for advanced users. Maybe it would make sense to add this as a feature available only to users who are paying, to reduce the load, and help offset the cost introduced by the server load. As a paying customer myself, I would highly value a feature like this.

jocuwoce

Post by jocuwoce » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:34 am

A world over function is arranged for the fulfillment of the gals or the humans. The softening of the products and resumewriters.com reviews is applied for the attainment of the jobs and all opportunities for the persons.