Closing old content for ranking.

synthel

Closing old content for ranking.

Post by synthel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:13 am

Might have been suggested already, but I've seen lately many players going to relatively old or very old content with their brand new gear and easily getting Rank 1-3 on those encounters for their class.

This act is completely disrespectful to anyone who gave his best back in these tiers days to get those rankings and that damage. And for what? Just to see someone is going with his Tier 13 gear in Blackwing Decent or Icecrown Citadel or Naxxaramas and ruining everything - even if they are not skilled, it doesn't matter, the gear makes up for it.

In addition to closing, you could maybe just filter any new rankings from the old content and keep the old ones, this will make the lists clean and realistic.

Arclight

Re: Closing old content for ranking.

Post by Arclight » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:18 am

Must agree with this one. I know that this site is statistical in nature, but it would be great to freeze the rankings at the point that a new tier of content comes out. Then you could have a two views of the stats: "Content View" and "Overall View", where "Content View" is frozen at the point that the tier becomes old, but it is the same as "Overall View" for current content.

KRinSk

Post by KRinSk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Use http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/ if you so warring about your rankings :D
ilvl don`t help you :mrgreen:

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:58 pm

We're thinking of freezing the rankings once 5.0 comes out. Stay tuned.

synthel

Post by synthel » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:09 pm

This is a great move. I hope we start doing this anytime new tier is released and close the previous due to inflation with new gear and nerfs. It just seems right.

Maihem
Site Admin

Post by Maihem » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:08 am

If we do decide to freeze on 5.0, we may do so. However, freezing the rankings is fairly resource-intensive. With the current top 20 cut-off (i.e. top 20 rankings reports do not expire), we already permanently retain some 80k reports. On top of that there's the ranking database, which takes up several gigabytes. Not sure if we can maintain that for keeping all top 200 rows and/or having multiple "versions" of the same ranking ladder (i.e. freeze+start anew with new tier). We'll see!

synthel

Post by synthel » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:59 am

Well, what I mean is that you should close it completely instead of making additional layers for the same content. As soon as a new content (tier) patch is live, you just disable completely any rankings for the previous - it will be even better as your data won't increase. If a log is uploaded after a tier is over, it won't be processed for rankings and it will act as a regular log that has expiry time and so on.

I strongly believe many people will appreciate this because it's not just the most logical way to be, but also the most fair to all the people who put efforts into those little achievements. The ranking system, as it is now, is benefiting only a certain type of players that enjoy going old content for the sole purpose of getting ranks they never could, because there was someone who was better than them at this point. I find this very inappropriate because every tier should be taken as a separate competition under a certain combination of factors. I don't see a single reason to leave a competition open for the whole expansion, that's not a real ranking system. You could say it's a ranking system only for people that actively go to old content trying to get those top 3 ranks.

A given competition should start when the content is released and should be closed when a subsequent tier is out. The results of that competition, in the form of rankings, are saved together with it, because that's what people achieved under a certain combination of factors - gear, class mechanics, boss mechanics. If I am to compare this to real life, you don't let people change the results of a competition, especially when factors that would affect the results dramatically change.

I'm really curious to hear your opinion on this Maihem, why wasn't it like that by default. Technically the idea of a ranking system and what you've already developed with your team is great and this, in my opinion, will make it even greater. Is your idea of a ranking system different, and in case you disagree, why is my suggestion flawed?

Additionally, this would be ideally paired with the long promised rank filtering by content under the 'Ranked Players' in a guild.