Item Level

cremor

Re: Item Level

Post by cremor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:48 am

This would still require that all players log out in the gear they were wearing during the raid. You can't force them to do that. And you would have to only connect the gear data of players with fights where they were in the same spec that the log recorded, otherwise you would e.g. save a wrong item level for a healer that was DPS in one fight (using his lower item level second gear).

I think all that armory scanning ideas have way to many flaws to work in practice. An addon in comparison could easily record the correct gear data for each fight individually and wouldn't require any special action from the people in the raid other than the uploader.

yzerman

Post by yzerman » Tue May 28, 2013 3:28 am

cremor wrote:This would still require that all players log out in the gear they were wearing during the raid. You can't force them to do that. And you would have to only connect the gear data of players with fights where they were in the same spec that the log recorded, otherwise you would e.g. save a wrong item level for a healer that was DPS in one fight (using his lower item level second gear).

I think all that armory scanning ideas have way to many flaws to work in practice. An addon in comparison could easily record the correct gear data for each fight individually and wouldn't require any special action from the people in the raid other than the uploader.
cremor wrote: Pulling the gear data out of the armory won't work for several reasons. First, there is no way to find the correct character in the armory. The combat log only contains character names, not realm names (unless it is a cross realm raid, then the characters not on the loggers realm contain the realm name). The realm chosen for the WoL guild doesn't have to be the real realm of the guild. So how would you know on which realm you have to search for the character?
A simple "if" statement would fix that - you open up the guilds realm and search for that toon. If it exists and the player is the same class/level then you have a possible match and can safely grab the item level of that toon (again this isnt 100% accurate, but its more than what we currently have and one false datapoint is not going to skew the benefits of including it). If it doesn't exist, don't try and search the armory for him, just end the function and report the item level as unknown.

Or you could require guilds that want to include their item levels to verify their guilds like many other sites have, by having an officer disrobe and log out.
cremor wrote: Even if finding a character would be possible, the gear on the armory might be completely different from the gear used for the kill (e.g. PvP gear, DPS gear of healers/tanks).

The only way this would be possible is to have a seperate addon running while logging the raid. That addon could then log additional data. But the WoL admins have said several times that they don't have plans for such an addon.

Personally cremor I think you are looking too deep into this. People want a general idea of what a certain persons ilvl is while they are pulling a certain amount of dps/hps. We don't need to know if they were 496 or 498, we don't need to know if they were using Loshan or Regails dagger, we want a general idea of what level of gear they were wearing. A lock for instance pulling 120k when his maximum item level is 496 (not his equipped mind you) gives us a better understanding of where a locks DPS should be at if we are trying to min/max around 496 ilvl. Having this information at hand with the log allows us to look at that log 2 months from now and say "im pulling 50k dps lower, and I am at the same item level as him, I am doing something wrong" instead of looking him up on the armory and seeing he is in full t16 heroic and not having a clue what item level he was at when he pulled that much dps on that boss. In this particular case, 100% accuracy isn't the goal.

We don't honestly care if the item levels aren't accurate for every log and every person we look at. But a general idea of what gear level they are, whether it be t14 (485-502) or t15 (510-535) will give us more accurate numbers to compare our toons with.

cremor

Post by cremor » Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 am

Ok, I admit, I didn't think about maximum item level. That would indeed make way more sense than equipped item level for comparing top rank parses (and nobody will care about not ranked ones).

Cyxi

Post by Cyxi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:22 am

Hi,

any chance to have max ilvl item stored on rankings ?

jaromor

Re: Item Level, yes the solution is possible

Post by jaromor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:54 pm

It would require an easy (no-configuration) addon that would do these two things:
1) keep updated iLvl data of all raid members untill the moment the combat starts
2) invoke /combatlog at the beginning/end of an encounter (I have EasyLogger for this atm, I would merely replace it)
These information would be stored in this addon's 'settings' file. The client Java app then would simply check this file and read the info from there when uploading the log.

Too bad addons can't be written in JS. I hate LUA syntax.

ArcaneMagus

Post by ArcaneMagus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Anything to do with an addon, although it would provide all of the necessary data and be perfect for this case, has been ruled out by the admins. They do not want to incorporate anything that can't be gathered just by typing /combatlog in the client as only some logs would have the necessary data.

The idea for just being a "general idea" of where the character is iLvL wise though is interesting... I'll bring this up to them and see what they think.