New Hardware

Miles
Site Admin

New Hardware

Post by Miles » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Ugh, we've outgrown our current hardware, again, but thanks to all our supporters, we have a budget to get more. For now, we're running with live ranking disabled (read: max 8h delay), that seems to be enough for now. Heavy feature is heavy.

We're adding two nodes with two Westmere Xeons each and a bunch of SSDs to enable us to store more stuff in the database. After this, we can focus on adding more features again, instead of just trying to keep everything running at an acceptable level. Also, this enables the addition of an iGoogle / Jira 4 like customizable dashboard - adding this now would be suicidal @ site performance, but it should be possible after the upgrade.

There's no hard ETA, those Westmeres haven't arrived in the EU yet, every shop is showing 7+ days for delivery on the CPU, /pray-ing it's here next week.

frmorrison

Re: New Hardware

Post by frmorrison » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:16 am

That is good to hear. The live ranking was fun, but sorry about melting the servers ;). Keep up the good work!

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:58 am

Muh. It looks like Intel delayed the shipment, first stock @ the only shop showing a date now is 28-4. Hate. "Launched in Q1", but you can't buy it yet...

I'm not going to purchase the previous generation hardware now when the new stuff is just around the corner, but there's nothing more annoying than waiting for new toys :(

Oh well. At least that gives me time to do a few feature sprints in between and properly tune everything for the Nehalem platform - we're still targeting Core2-based machines at the moment.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:13 pm

ETA's got pushed back to 2nd week in May. Volcano > Us. :(

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Woohoo. Managed to find 4x Xeon E5620 in stock in Germany (Dutch stores quote 18th May as delivery date...), and DHL finally delivered the chassis with 2 nodes and the memory today.

Heavy machine is heavy, 40kg with everything in it. Thank god you can just rack up the empty chassis and plug in the PSU and nodes after, our space is the highest 10u chunk in a rack... I can't imagine fiddling with the rails while lifting such a weight that high.

CPU shipping is still going to take a week or so (store didn't offer express shipping :(), but I expect to get everything setup, tested and racked in the weekend of 8th May. Can't wait, got features lined up for the next month that can use the extra power, it's enough to double our current processing capabilities.

Unrelated: broke another record. Used 2.3T of transit until now this month, highest peak is 26.78Mbit last Wednesday at 23:05 CEST; The demand is even higher, but the service started to reply with 503 Try again later to some report loading requests.