feature request: searching logs

hoho

feature request: searching logs

Post by hoho » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:59 pm

I'd love to be able to search for specific logs that contain information I'm interested in. E.g a couple of days ago I wanted to see how big uptime would focus magic on spriest give. At the moment there is no way to find stuff like that.

What I'd like to see is a ton of filters. E.g bosses, kills/wipes, raid has buff X (raidcomp from mmo-champion shows what stacks, what doesn't), spell X is used in raid (could be trinket procs), buff X was cast on spec/class Y(FM/PI/hysteria or if possible even regular stuff like kings), raid DPS/HPS/kill time was more/less than X, raid used X amount of tanks/healers/dps etc.

I think most of the stuff is not completely undoable, just the "buff X on Y" is probably the hardest. It would make it incredibly useful to see how other people manage things and to see how certain elements work in real-world (e.g trinket procs). You might even be able to give the tool a log and say "find me similar raid setups and show how well did they do" or "show me other logs with same spec as player X so I can see how badly he/she sucks" :)

Only problem is I have no idea if recording all that information per-fight into a manageable-size database is actually doable or searchable in reasonable time. I think it shouldn't be as bad as keeping DPS records for everything as there is no specific top200 to keep up-to-date. It should just be inserts on new log creation, deletes on log expiring and keeping the index updated. It'll still be quite immense amount of data nonetheless :)

So, would that be doable theoretically? I understand it could take weeks or even months of work but I'm interested if it's even just theoretically doable and if there are any plans on doing something like this.

Maihem
Site Admin

Re: feature request: searching logs

Post by Maihem » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Everything is doable in theory, given enough hardware and time ;-)

To answer your question though: the search as posed in your suggestion would be *very* database intensive. We are, however, looking into making WoL more searchable, perhaps using (automatic) report tagging and full-text indexing. As for the 'similar raid setup' feature, I'm not sure that'll be included.

Filed as a feature request.