Possible Bug with Client Upload

Locked
Treyst
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Possible Bug with Client Upload

Post by Treyst » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:49 am

I can't get the client to upload my parse. I have the combatlog selected, get to the upload screen, enter a comment, all of activity and range is highlighted. I've read that hitting upload shows no progress bar or indication that it's uploading, but mine simply seems that it's doing nothing.

I'll hit upload once, and wait, but the parse never uploads. I let it sit for an hour after hitting upload, yet nothing. I tested WWS to make sure it wasn't a problem with my internet or java, but that uploaded fine, in < 2 mins.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or I'm just missing something, but any help would be appreciated.

Edit: also want to add that "Test account setting" says my username and pass are valid.

Miles
Site Admin
Posts: 1526
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Possible Bug with Client Upload

Post by Miles » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:50 am

When you hit upload, it should open a new window with the upload progress - but without more information I'm afraid there is not much I can do about it.

I'll see if I can find some possible reasons and add some checks for it.

Treyst
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Re: Possible Bug with Client Upload

Post by Treyst » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:22 am

Well, I guess the upload button may be broken, no new window is opening at all.

Treyst
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Re: Possible Bug with Client Upload

Post by Treyst » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:25 am

I think I may have found/fixed my problem.

I switched to 32bit JRE, and now the client is working fine, though a bit sluggish. I have Vista x64 and was using 64bit JRE. When I got to the upload page in the client, task manager reported javaw.exe *64 using ~340,000 K memory, so I'm assuming it was just too lagged to ever upload. Switching to 32bit JRE, task manager reported javaw.exe *32 using ~240,000 K memory. Like I said, still a bit sluggish, but at least its uploading now.

I would just say the issue was 100% on my end, but like I said earlier, when I tested the WWS client (w/ 64bit JRE), it worked like a charm, but I don't know how different the clients are or really how java apps really work.

Miles
Site Admin
Posts: 1526
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Possible Bug with Client Upload

Post by Miles » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Ah. A classic OOME - OutOfMemoryException. We haven't tested the client with huge files yet - the 256M limit in jnlp is probably too low. In x64, all objects are ~25% larger as they have a 8 byte overhead, and each pointer is 8 bytes as well, so that explains how 32-bit version works fine while the x64 one doesn't.

We'll bump the memory limit up to 512M - if you don't need that much, the jvm won't allocate it anyway, but it prevents this kind of errors.

Treyst
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Re: Possible Bug with Client Upload

Post by Treyst » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Excellent, thank you :)

Locked