Recent changes / bug fixes

Re: Recent changes / bug fixes

Postby Miles » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 am

And so ends the second age of WoL, and gone are the days of sudden laggyness or even temporary unavailability. The downtimes are short, only seconds to up to a minute at a time, but still, it didn't escape the all seeing eye of Nagios.

It has been a long, hard road, but after adding a whole lot more monitoring options and trying hard to DoS the backend to trigger the bug, I've found the cause of all evil. That area has been isolated quickly, the workaround is in place, but the evil is still in there, watching, always trying to get out. But for now, this will do.

My part of this tale is over now; it's up to the brave engineers of Sun to fix the problem in the jvm for good.

~~

Finally, we're back in business for more features and shinies. Let the coding begin!
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Woohoo, gone through the bug reports forum and read them all now. Most are added to the issue tracker, trivial / critical ones fixed.

The evil that was surfaced its evil head briefly today, when I tried to reindex all reports with a few threads; adjusted some parameters and I guess I should be more patient and wait for the weekend. Oh well.
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:21 am

Added better not-really-a-kill detection. The data can be updated a bit more easily / verified before applying, and the broken fights show up in red on the dashboard.

Data is imported for ICC too, and Anub'arak is updated to flag zero submerge kills as valid. The 'bad' ranking entries for ICC will be gone after the next stats update.

Broken fights still show up on the kill listing, hiding it there is the next thing on the todo list.
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:40 am

Grr. Remove one bottleneck and another will spawn pretty much directly. Hit a peak of 1700 data heavy / report requests per minute, but there was a ~30 seconds queue at the Apache level. Previously, things stopped working at ~1400.

This kinda screws up my planning to finish redoing the rankings stuff. I'll be setting up another machine for production duty tomorrow and load balance between them. And then I can watch backend die horribly. Lovely :P

It's time to see if the budget allows for more rackable hardware, this is like fighting an hydra with an wooden sword.
Miles
Site Admin

Postby hoho » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Miles wrote:This kinda screws up my planning to finish redoing the rankings stuff.
This sounds interesting. Any idea if the plans include machine-accessible way to read ranking stuff? :)
hoho

Postby Miles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Yeah, that was in the plan. But fixing the data problem first has priority.

Anyway, we were going up and down in the past 15 minute, tweaking configs and shifting load between machines. The good news is that the frontend capacity is roughly doubled. The bad news is that backend will probably be in trouble tonight. There's only so much you can do with tuning, but the other solution, get one or two more R610 / DL360 isn't within our budget for now :(

I'll go tweak the queue, limiting loading to ~300 reports a minute. If you get a 503 try again later screen, try again later :P
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:03 pm

Rankings have been updated. The EU vs US vs Rest thing is gone, as the CN 'easy mode' realms will probably not return any time soon, so there's no need to rank per realm-group anymore.

Now, it's just a top 200 global ladder without exceptions.

Other fixes are still on the todo. Got to hurry, got a raid tonight :lol:
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 am

The number of concurrent sessions is over the hard limit again, set by the available memory. We're adding 16G extra ram when it arrives, will update later with maintenance window / expected downtime. This should lower the amount of "Server too busy, try later again" messages you get.

The next step up will be way more expensive tho... Even with 16 DIMM slots, the time has come that we're out of room for expansion in that server. Swapping out lower capacity DIMMs for 8G, dual rank ones is insanely expensive at ~500e each.

If you like our work and want to support us in keeping the quality of service high, consider getting an subscription. Those give us a bit more room in the hardware budget department :D
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:35 pm

Deploying a new build, fixed several bugs. The rankinfo page extended slightly, and the last few ICC bosses have a minimum damage limit now.
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:50 pm

@pm's about rankings - no idea. I'll know when the new/extended ranking info page is up.
Miles
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions & Feature Requests