Time cannot go backwards

Time cannot go backwards

Postby Miles » Sun May 24, 2009 12:24 am

Time cannot go backwards - but sometimes, they do in logs.

Most of the times, it happens when use a log from an Apple. The timer there is so unreliable that they synchronize hourly with time servers, and every time that happens it always jumps either forward (=ignored) or backward (=problem).

If you encounter warnings on the site saying that the time was adjusted to fix some problems, don't be too sure the time is 100% correct; and if it jumps during a fight, it could be broken apart into two.

If this happens frequently with your logs, either disable time synchronization or get someone else to log - your computer is doing a lousy job of tracking time. I've seen logs where time is set backwards for 3 minutes every hour - even the cheapest mechanical watch is more accurate...
Miles
Site Admin

Re: java.lang.AssertionError: Time cannot go backwards

Postby Miles » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 pm

Follow up: well, modern systems tend to sync their time with something on the internet, and Macs tend to do it often.

I've applied and tested a fix locally that will allow reports to load with non linear time, it will introduce a slight (< 20ms most case) error in the timing as events tend to fire rapidly during combat, but log time stamps won't match up at all with what you see in the log browser if the fix has been applied.

But if the warning message on the dashboard says the fix has been applied with a big time delay, don't trust the data blindly, it may be broken.
Miles
Site Admin

Postby celenas » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi, I just encountered this issue while trying to post from my Macbook the other night. I thought perhaps that it either wasn't possible from a mac or my data somehow got corrupted. Yet I was able to post to WWS fine. Is there a way around this or something I can do to avoid this in the future? Thanks in advance.
celenas

Postby Miles » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Hmm? It should be fixed by now, but maybe I forgot to update something. Please try to upload that file again.
Miles
Site Admin

Postby celenas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:26 am

The error issue was solved, thank you. However I seem to have a new issue - clicking on the Upload button doesn't do anything. I click it and nothing happens.
celenas

Postby Maihem » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:17 pm

This issue may be caused by the "Time cannot go backwards" check as well.

A fix for this has just been implemented; the client simply ignores the time delta between the two lines and shifts all following lines forward in time. Expect the client to be updated tonight!
Maihem
Site Admin

Re: Time cannot go backwards

Postby Miles » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Bump. Fixed a related problem today, causing invalid time ranges. The basic problem is the same, but on a live log, there was a missing check to ensure the next segment starts after the last line.

Changed the start post - most of the trouble isn't caused by pcs, but Apples. I'm starting to hate that company, why can't they use a proper quartz clock? Normally those are +/- half a second a day, not +/- 1 minute per hour on the average bugged Apple combat log.
Miles
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports