Mac OS X: Starting client opens textedit.

Mac OS X: Starting client opens textedit.

Postby Kara » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

I've already done the fix detailed here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=254 a while ago and the client worked fine after that, but after trying to upload last night's log (the first log I've tried to upload in a week or two), the Client is opening a textedit app instead of actually loading up the client. I'm on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.7. There don't seem to be any software updates available. I've read the sticky note in this forum regarding this issue, but I'm not sure exactly how the fix applies to a Mac.
Kara

Re: Client not starting on a Mac

Postby Miles » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:29 pm

What happens if you save the file and run it with javaws?
Miles
Site Admin

Re: Client not starting on a Mac

Postby Kara » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:28 pm

I found the problem. Posting a link for you here in case anyone else asks or it's something you want to put in an FAQ in case others have the same issue.

http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threa ... &tstart=15

This solution worked perfectly for me.
Kara

Re: Mac OS X: Starting client opens textedit.

Postby Maihem » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Renamed and stickied.
Maihem
Site Admin

Postby Juddah » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:13 am

Hello,

I am also having problems launching the client on my Mac. I followed both steps that are posted in the forums, editing my Java Preferences, as well as setting the launch.jnlp to open with Java Web Start. The problem now is if I try to launch the client from the website it saves a copy of the launch.jnlp to a temp folder for Safari and if I try to open it in Firefox it continues to open itself in an endless loop and eventually crashes. Here are my specs

Macbook Pro 17"
2.8ghz Intel core 2 duo
4GB RAM
Mac OS 10.5.8
Safari v4.0.3
Firefox v3.5.2
Juddah

Postby Miles » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Nono, don't make OSX open it with Firefox, make it open with Java Web Start.

If Firefox acts too weird, try to see what Firefox -> Tools -> Options -> Applications -> search for jnlp says. It should open it with Java Web Start.
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Juddah » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:04 am

I was trying to open the launch.jnlp with Java Web Start as I had changed it to opening as a default like it said in another forum post linked in this forum. That however, did nothing but stop it from opening with Text Edit. It simply doesn't open anything now.

I checked Firefox and its defaulted to opening with Java Web Start as well. I changed it to "Always ask" for what application to open .jnlp with and also tried Firefox and Safari, but that didn't work either. The endless loop was caused by checking "Do this automatically for files like this from now on" which is now under control.

Any other suggestions? If there is a console log somewhere I can post for you guys let me know.
Juddah

Postby Miles » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:46 am

Can you find a program called javaws in the <Java runtime>/bin/ folder? Try using that to run it. Or open a terminal, type in javaws <saved jnlp file> and see what happens.

Under windows, this is solved by just reinstalling the jre, but I'm not sure it's that easy to do that on a mac.
Miles
Site Admin

Postby Dethtohumans » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:24 am

Hey, I'm running a macbook pro with OS 10.4.11, it's a little out dated I know but when I try to run the client, I get a message from "Java Web Start - System Configuration" that says "Unable to launch World of Logs Client." I've tried all the help listed above, nothing has helped. I'm supposed to be using your client on a raid tonight and it won't work. any ideas?
Dethtohumans

Postby Maihem » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:57 am

The WoL client uses functionality that exists only in Java versions 1.6 and up. As far as I know, Java 1.6 was first introduced in OS X 10.5 and has never been made available to older versions of OS X. You can check your Java version using "java -version" in the Terminal app (see http://www.technipages.com/os-x-find-java-version.html).

If your Java version reads 1.4.x or 1.5.x, nothing you can do I'm afraid except blame Apple =(
Maihem
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports