Arcane Mage help

Discuss your combat logs here!
lindzerbell

Arcane Mage help

Post by lindzerbell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 am

Hello,
My main is an arcane mage that according to rawr has some of the best gear for mages. I do the normal rotation of 4 arcane blasts followed by arcane missiles. Unbuffed i have around 3200 sp, 41% crit, 860 haste and with a draenai, am hit capped. I've read tons of forums on mages and I still cannot figure out why I pull anywhere from 3.4k to 5k dps when it should theoretically be higher. Mages with much lower gear than mine can keep up or out dps me. Keep in mind, i'm not about the competition and "i'm better than you" at all but I do raid alot and I'd like to at least be where I'm supposed to be in dps/dmg standings. if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to offer them.

I'm new to this website so hopefully this link works.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/665e ... etails/10/
These are the results another guild member posted on this site. Hopefully it helps.

lindzer-gilneas server
Last edited by lindzerbell on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoho

Re: Arcane Mage help

Post by hoho » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 am

It would help to see some of your parses.

As for your gear, I'd say it's far from best. My spriest is running around with unbuffed 3k sp/770crit/1.2k haste and I know I have tons of upgrades to get while I pull 9-10k with full raid buffs. Though 3-5k is still awfully low, people did that in Naxx gear.

lindzerbell

Post by lindzerbell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:18 am

well like I said "according to rawr" i supposedly have good gear. also it varies between classes, my lock is 3100sp sellf buffed in ilvl 232 gear.

lindzerbell

Post by lindzerbell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:20 am

Also do feel free to armory my character. I'm only here because a few friends said to try looking for help here as other forums failed. see first post for name/server

hoho

Post by hoho » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 am

And I said we can't help without seeing any of the parses. This is forum for discussing combat logs. If you provide a link to one we can discuss it and hopefully give advice. Without that all we can say is something like "time your cooldowns better, don't screw up". If you want more specific advice then you'd be better off using your class forums in other pages (elitistjerks, wow official forums, some random mage forum somewhere deep in the net, ...) but I'm quite sure all of them will still ask to see a combat log parse to analyze what you do.

tiga

Post by tiga » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Elitist Jerks is a good place to go read information, but I wouldn't advise anyone having severe difficulties posting there. You get banned very easily for asking (and answering) questions that are considered simple.

This isn't the right forum either, but as hoho said, if you actually had a logged fight here, the log might show something interesting.

The most common cause for low DPS:

- You might not be chaining your spells together properly (on a combat log, this would show up as a far lower number of spells cast compared to someone else playing the same spec/class).

You best bet is to find someone who does good DPS and get that person to do some side by side testing on a target dummy. I helped out a friend once like this...I matched the amount of haste she had on her mage and spent a fixed amount of time on a target dummy. The number of spells she cast was significantly lower than mine (by about 20%). After a few tips on how to cast, she was within 5% of me in terms of activity.

Something I've seen mentioned occasionally:

- You might be using low rank spells (visit the class trainer and make sure the top ranks are on your toolbars).

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Hmm? The first post contains a link to a parse.

First, check the graph. Tick yourself, and the two hunters. The breaks are caused by Pact of the Darkfallen, but you stop dealing damage for way longer than required.

Rotation looks good, to plot it, go to the timeline tab and click the button.

Arcane mages are supposed to be a plus in heavy movement fights, so while running, use Barrage if you can. After the Pact, just blink to a free spot and start stacking up AB again. If your mana allows, like on the tries you have to move a lot, just AB for more than 4 times, the final stack will cost you a lot of mana, but finishing the fight with a full bar of blue is a waste.

Oh, and don't use cooldowns on low stacks of AB, just stack it up to 4, then pop AP/IV. Depending on mana situation, either AB till the end or use AM when Missile Barrage is up. Never use AM when it isn't. That buff doesn't get logged by the way, so I can't see what happens.

ArcaneMagus

Post by ArcaneMagus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 pm

One thing that mages can do (as well as shadow priests) is we can completely ignore the first set of Gas Spores on Festergut. Simply ice block for the first pungent blight. If raid dps is high enough he will die before the second blight so you can ignore the second set as well.

It also appears that you are cutting of the last tick or two of Arcane Missiles quite often, with an average damage of ~5.5k for .4 seconds of time you really shouldn't be doing that ;)

Another thing to note: Mana Sapphires are awesome, use it whenever it is off cooldown. Depending on your total mana that should be a free 8-10% mana every 2 minutes. Using it doesn't even cause a gcd! This should allow you to use Evocation less often which means more dps.

Just a note:
Last edited by lindzerbell on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That parse was added in after everyone commented and was then waiting on a log, and since edits don't generate a message (or new post) nobody who had been following this knew it had been added ;)

lindzerbell

Post by lindzerbell » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Yes, I probably should have posted the parse in a new message. I'll note that if I post again.

Any ideas on how to maintain good dps on Sindragosa as the only caster dps in 10 ICC? I have been letting the stacks get to 10 before blowing up, ignoring them completely on p3, blinking during aoe and recasting immediately, and sometimes only going 2-3 AB to prevent stacking too fast. I still seem to take a large dps hit and while we did get her down, it was a struggle.

I'll see if I can get the newest parse downloaded here soon, we're doing a fresh attempt on her tonight. Here is last weeks: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wajt9fz2t3u1ny38/

ArcaneMagus

Post by ArcaneMagus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:25 pm

I know exactly how annoying that can be...

Anyway a few tricks that I used was blowing all my cooldowns and ignoring the stacks but watching the time remaining on the Unchained Magic debuff. When that was about to fall off (which would cause the insane number of Instability stacks to blow up) I simply ice blocked to drop it all.

As far as a rotation, I was only going up to 5-6 stacks (4AB + MB, with a 5th AB if necessary) and then letting it fall off. One trick you can use is that you only get a stack when the spell is cast, not when you start casting it. So depending on your haste you can start casting AB 1.5-2 seconds before the debuff falls off. You just have to make sure that the cast doesn't finish before the debuff has fallen off, or you are stacking more. Using that I was really only losing about 1 second of dps time per rotation.