Disc Priest Absorbs

Discuss your combat logs here!

Disc Priest Absorbs

Postby tankot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:37 am

Are the Power Word: Shield Absorbs accurate for the most part and not guessed? The log only reports the portion of the shields that were actually absorbed right?
tankot

Re: Disc Priest Absorbs

Postby cremor » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:54 am

The absolute amount of all shields in a fight is accurate, but since the combat log doesn't give the information which shield/ability caused the absorb, that's just guessed.
I think WoL attributes the absorb to the shield that was last applied to the target.

Yes, only really used absorbs are shown. But for PW: Shield you can calculate the max possible absorb because you have the amount of casts shown as Glyph of PW: Shield healing.
cremor

Postby tankot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:04 pm

So the healing done amount itself for disc priest is correct according what you said, right?
tankot

Postby boredguy8 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:27 am

tankot wrote:So the healing done amount itself for disc priest is correct according what you said, right?

Sheilds come from more than just a disc priest. So no. But mostly.
boredguy8

Postby irullan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:19 pm

So I feel as though the OP question hasnt been adequately answered anywhere. Are individual abdorbed amounts accurately accounted for?
irullan

Postby ArcaneMagus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 pm

The total amount of healing + absorbs done during the fight is correct, the part where things are guessed is where the absorbs are attributed to. Currently I believe WoL attributes absorbs to the last shield/ability that could absorb that was applied to the target. So if every single time that somebody the disc priest was shielding took damage, the last shield being applied was the priests, then yes it would be perfectly accurate for the priest. However if any other player was doing anything with shields (more common then you might think) then it's just a guess as to which shield absorbed what.

I also believe the absorb calculations are turned off entirely for the Twins fight because of all the absorbs built into the fight.
ArcaneMagus

Postby Niveras » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:26 pm

On a related note, how accurate would you say the individual accounts are for %healing done? For instance, if we had two disc priests in the raid, and Protection of Ancient Kings was reported as healing 10%, should one assume that is abnormally high, about right, or lower than it should be? How does RecountGuessedAbsorbs accuracy compare, does it have access to information from the game API that isn't necessarily available through the combat log?
Niveras

Postby ArcaneMagus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 pm

As far as I understand it all that the game reports to anything is that x amount was absorbed, everything beyond that point is pure guesswork.
ArcaneMagus

Postby Niveras » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:30 pm

The combat log can only record the amount of absorb, but I figure RecountGuessedAbsorbs might do more than just read the combat log. For example, it might be calculating and keeping track of the origin's spellpower at the time to more accurately track the amount a shield can handle.

Mostly I am wondering if WoL is reasonably accurate under reasonable circumstances, or whether all sources of absorb tracking are equally inaccurate in cases where there are more than one major source of absorbs.
Niveras

Postby cremor » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Niveras wrote:The combat log can only record the amount of absorb, but I figure RecountGuessedAbsorbs might do more than just read the combat log. For example, it might be calculating and keeping track of the origin's spellpower at the time to more accurately track the amount a shield can handle.

No, it doesn't. RecountGuessedAbsorbs attributes absorbs to the shield with the minimum remaining time.

Mostly I am wondering if WoL is reasonably accurate under reasonable circumstances, or whether all sources of absorb tracking are equally inaccurate in cases where there are more than one major source of absorbs.

Since no one knows the exact mechanics, no one can know which method is more accurate.

But the good thing is that no guessing will be needed any more when Patch 4.0 comes. Blizzard changed the combatlog in Cataclysm to contain spell and source information for absorbs.
cremor

Next

Return to Combat Log Discussions